American Family Sends Catastrophe Teams for Wind Damage in Missouri and Wisconsin

Madison, Wis. (July 21, 2006) — Catastrophe teams from American Family Insurance are responding to St. Louis, Mo., and Madison, Wis., to assist residents whose homes, autos and businesses were damaged from recent wind storms.

American Family policyholders can report their claims to their agent or the company’s 24-hour Claim Call Center (1-800-374-1111) to arrange an inspection of their damaged property or vehicle.

The heaviest storm damage was reported in St. Louis where American Family policyholders have already reported close to 2,000 claims. More than 200 claims have been reported by customers in Madison. Catastrophe adjusters are already on site working with affected policyholders in those areas.


How do I report my claim? To report a claim, please contact our 24-hour Claim Call Center at 1-800-374-1111 or your American Family agent.

What damages to my property might be covered? Your homeowners insurance policy covers tornado, wind and hail damage to your home and personal property. The “comprehensive” section of your auto insurance policy provides coverage for tornado, wind and hail damage to your vehicle.

Can I start to make repairs to prevent further damage? You should protect your property immediately against further damage and theft. Use plywood, tarps or other materials to cover broken windows and damaged rooftops. Keep the receipts of any materials/services that you purchase to make these repairs so your adjuster can review them and reimburse you for expenses covered by your policy.

Do I have coverage to replace damaged trees or remove tree debris caused by the storm? Homeowners insurance generally does not cover damage to trees or the removal of tree debris from the property. If a tree has fallen on your home and caused damage, however, we will pay to cut away that part of the tree so repairs can be made; most policies will also pay up to $500 for removing that part of the tree from the property. Check your policy for specific coverage.

The storm caused a neighbor’s tree to fall on my house? Whose insurance company should I report my claim to – the neighbor’s or mine? Report the claim to your insurance company. Since damage was caused by an act of nature and not caused by negligence on the part of your neighbor, your insurance policy applies. If the roles were reversed and a tree from your property fell on your neighbor’s home, the neighbor’s insurance policy would apply.

My power is out, and it looks like it will not be restored for quite some time. Do I have coverage for food in my freezer and refrigerator that I’ll have to throw out it if power isn’t restored? Yes, homeowners insurance generally provides coverage for food spoilage from a storm-related power outage. Check your policy for specific coverage amounts. At American Family, your deductible does not apply to this coverage.

Is there anything I can do to help with the claim process? Begin to compile a list of personal property and belongings you believe were damaged or destroyed by the storm. Briefly describe each item, including its age, current value, make, model and serial number.

When can I remove debris from my property? Document your storm-damaged belongings with photographs, video and/or a written list before disposing of debris. If this is not possible, please wait to remove the debris until an adjuster can visit your property.

Who do I call to make repairs? You are free to select any contractor or repair shop you wish. It is usually best to select one who has operated in the area for several years, is insured and bonded, and will give you a written guarantee for the work performed.