American Family Insurance Sends Catastrophe Team to Help Kansas Tornado Victims

Greensburg, Kan. (May 8, 2007) — A catastrophe team from American Family Insurance continues to respond to Greensburg and other Kansas communities to assist residents whose homes were destroyed or damaged from the recent tornadoes.

American Family customers who have claims should immediately contact their agent or the company’s 24-hour Claim Call Center (1-800-374-1111) to arrange an inspection of their damaged property.

“Members of our catastrophe team are already meeting with policyholders,” says George Kattermann, property and commercial-farm/ranch director. “As always, our goal is to get people’s lives back to normal as quickly as possible. That’s the reason people buy insurance.”

Adjusters continue to staff evacuation centers in Haviland, east of Greensburg, making payments for additional living expenses such as food and shelter to customers displaced by the storms. Home inspections will begin in Greensburg once law enforcement allows access to the damaged area.

Catastrophe adjusters are also responding to customers with tornado and wind damage in the communities of Ellinwood, Claflin, Bennington and Minneapolis, in addition to wind and water claims in the Salina, Topeka and Kansas City areas.

American Family customers in Kansas have filed more than 120 claims for tornado-damaged property, including at least 40 destroyed homes. That number is expected to rise to 250-300 as more claims are reported in the coming days.

American Family is the second largest writer of homeowners and auto insurance in Kansas, as well as the state’s fourth largest writer of farm/ranch insurance.


How do I report my claim? To report a claim, please contact our 24-hour Claim Call Center at 1-800-374-1111 or your American Family agent.

What damages to my property might be covered? Your homeowners insurance policy covers tornado and wind damage to your home and personal property. The “comprehensive” section of your auto insurance policy provides coverage for tornado and wind damage to your vehicle.

Civil authorities have ordered me to evacuate my home. Does my policy pay for food and lodging during this time? Your homeowners insurance policy pays for additional living expenses for up to two weeks if you are denied access to your home by the civil authorities. This includes reasonable motel and food expenses. Keep copies of the receipts for your adjuster.

Can I get an emergency advance payment? Yes. If you have a covered loss and need emergency funds, we can provide you an advance payment. This advance payment will be applied to your final claim settlement.

Can I start to make repairs to prevent further damage? You should protect your property immediately against further damage and theft. Use plywood, tarps or other materials to cover broken windows and damaged rooftops. Keep the receipts of any materials/services that you purchase to make these repairs so your adjuster can review them and reimburse you for expenses covered by your policy.

Is there anything I can do to help with the claim process? Begin to compile a list of personal property and belongings you believe were damaged or destroyed by the storm. Briefly describe each item, including its age, current value, make, model and serial number.

When can I remove debris from my property? Document your storm-damaged belongings with photographs, video and/or a written list before disposing of debris. If this is not possible, please wait to remove the debris until an adjuster can help you with the documentation.

Does my policy have coverage for boarding pets? Yes, your homeowners policy covers the cost of temporarily boarding domestic pets if civil authorities prohibit access to your home. Keep copies of the receipts for your adjuster.

Who do I call to make repairs? You are free to select any contractor or repair shop you wish. It is usually best to select one who has operated in the area for several years, is insured and bonded, and will give you a written guarantee for the work performed.