American Family Dispatches Catastrophe Teams to Assist Southern Wisconsin Storm Victims

Madison, Wis. (June 11, 2008)—Catastrophe teams from American Family Insurance are responding to water and wind damage in southern Wisconsin following heavy storms. Customers reported damage from flooding and wind storms in the southwestern and southwest-central portions of the state, and predominantly water damage closer to the Milwaukee area.

The company has received approximately 4,000 property insurance claims in southern Wisconsin, including more than 3,100 in the Milwaukee area and more than 800 in the Madison area and the surrounding counties. The company also is fielding a high volume of auto insurance claims, including claims for flood damage and windstorm damage.

American Family customers who have claims should immediately contact their agent or the company’s 24-hour Customer Care Center 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326) to arrange an inspection of their damaged property or vehicle. Additional adjusters and other staff have been called in to assist with the claim response.

Standard property and business insurance policies do not cover flood damage. However, American Family and many other insurance companies participate in the federal government’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which contracts with insurance companies to sell and service its policies. To qualify for the NFIP program, property owners must live in a community that participates in the program.

The NFIP requires flood insurance to be in place at least 30 days before it provides coverage, unless the policy is purchased in connection with the making, increasing, extending or renewing of a mortgage loan.

In some instances, the federal government declares specified areas to be natural disaster sites eligible for federal funding. According to the Federal Emergency Management Administration, residents who do not have flood insurance but whose homes were damaged by flooding should still file a claim with their insurance company in order to potentially qualify for federal assistance.

American Family customers can also purchase optional coverage for sewer backup and sump pump overflow, which extends coverage for certain water-related damages to the building structure and specific household appliances. The optional coverage must be purchased at least five days prior to the sewer backup or sump pump overflow.  

Questions and answers for American Family customers:

How do I report an auto or homeowners insurance claim? To report a claim, contact our 24-hour Claim Customer Care Center at 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326) or your American Family agent.

How do I report a flooding claim? To report a claim under a flood insurance policy, contact your American Family Insurance agent.