American Family dispatches catastrophe team to help storm victims in Indianapolis

Madison, Wis. (June 4, 2009) — A catastrophe team from American Family Insurance is responding to help storm victims in Hamilton County, Ind., and Indianapolis’ northeast side, following Tuesday’s wind and hail storm.

The company has already received more than 650 claims from customers whose homes or vehicles were damaged from the storm.

American Family customers who have claims should immediately contact the company’s 24-hour Customer Care Center 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326) or their agent to arrange an inspection of their damaged property or vehicle.

Local agents and adjusters from the American Family claim office in Indianapolis are already helping customers with immediate needs, with an additional 12 adjusters from the company catastrophe team.

The company has also established a vehicle inspection drive-in site at its local claim office, 900 E. 96th St. Vehicles are inspected by appointment only, which customers can schedule when reporting their claim. The drive-in will operate 7 days a week, with appointment times available from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m.

Questions and answers for American Family customers:

How do I report my claim? To report a claim, please contact our 24-hour Claim Customer Care Center at 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326) or your American Family Insurance agent.

What damages to my property might be covered? Your homeowners insurance policy covers tornado and wind damage to your home and personal property. The "comprehensive" section of your auto insurance policy provides coverage for hail damage to your vehicle.

Can I get an emergency advance payment? Yes. If you have a covered loss and need emergency funds, we can provide you an advance payment. This advance payment will be applied to your final claim settlement.

Can I start to make repairs to prevent further damage? When a hailstorm creates a large volume of claims, we will typically establish one or more drive-in sites where policyholders can take their hail-damaged vehicles to be inspected and receive payment for repairs, less their deductible. These inspections take place on an appointment basis only, so it’s important that you first report your claim.

If your home has sustained hail damage, an adjuster will contact you at one of the phone numbers you provided when you reported your claim. The two of you will schedule an inspection of your home, after which the adjuster will develop an estimate and make payment for repairs covered by your policy.

Who do I call to make repairs? You are free to select any contractor or repair shop you wish. It is usually best to select one who has operated in the area for several years, is insured and bonded, and will give you a written guarantee for the work performed.