American Family dispatches catastrophe team to help storm victims from Fort Collins to Pueblo

Madison, Wis. (June 12, 2009) — A catastrophe team from American Family Insurance is responding to help storm victims in and around the Colorado communities of Aurora, Fort Collins, Greeley, Parker and Pueblo, following a series of wind and hailstorms that swept through the area starting on Sunday.

The company has already received more than 1,600 claims from customers whose homes or vehicles were damaged from the storm, and is expecting a total of about 3,500 claims.

American Family customers who have claims should immediately contact the company's 24-hour Customer Care Center 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326) or their agent to schedule an inspection of their damaged property or vehicle.

Local agents and adjusters from the American Family claim office in Englewood assisted customers with immediate needs, and the company brought in an additional 29 adjusters from the company catastrophe team.

The company has also established a vehicle inspection drive-in site at the Saddle Rock Mall, 6200 Gun Club Rd, Aurora. Vehicles are inspected by appointment only, which customers can schedule when reporting their claim. The drive-in will operate 7 days a week, with appointment times available from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m.

Questions and answers for American Family customers:

How do I report my claim? To report a claim, please contact our 24-hour Claim Customer Care Center at 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326) or your American Family Insurance agent.

What damages to my property might be covered? Your homeowners insurance policy covers tornado and wind damage to your home and personal property. The "comprehensive" section of your auto insurance policy provides coverage for tornado and wind damage to your vehicle.

How will the inspection process work? When a hailstorm creates a large volume of claims, we will typically establish one or more drive-in sites where policyholders can take their hail-damaged vehicles to be inspected and receive payment for repairs, less their deductible. These inspections take place on an appointment basis only, so it’s important that you first report your claim.

Can I start to make repairs to prevent further damage? You should protect your property immediately against further damage and theft. Use plywood, tarps or other materials to cover broken windows and damaged rooftops. Keep the receipts of any materials/services that you purchase to make these repairs so your adjuster can review them and reimburse you for expenses covered by your policy.

Who do I call to make repairs? You are free to select any contractor or repair shop you wish. It is usually best to select one who has operated in the area for several years, is insured and bonded, and will give you a written guarantee for the work performed.