American Family dispatches mobile catastrophe office to help Boulder, Colo. wildfire victims

Boulder, Colo. (Aug. 9, 2010) —Claims employees from American Family Insurance set up a mobile catastrophe office at the Boulder YMCA, 2850 Mapleton Ave., to assist customers affected by the Fourmile Canyone wildfire. Adjusters continue to meet with policyholders whose homes have been damaged or destroyed by the ongoing wildfires in Boulder County.

Policyholders have already filed more than 45 homeowners claims from the wildfire, including at least 11 destroyed homes. The number is expected to climb as residents who have been evacuated return to their homes and assess the damage.

"We have adjusters on alert throughout the area ready to inspect and settle claims as soon as authorities grant access to the fire-ravaged areas," said spokesperson Ken Muth. "In the meantime, we will continue to visit emergency shelters to provide support and information to those who have immediate needs."

American Family Insurance customers who have claims should immediately contact the company's 24-hour Customer Care Center, 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326). They can also report claims to their local American Family agent, or online at


How do I report my claim? To report a claim, please contact our 24-hour Customer Care Center, 1-800-MY-AMFAM (692-6326) or your American Family agent.

What damages to my property might be covered? Your homeowners insurance policy provides coverage for damage to your home and personal property caused by fire, smoke, water and slurry dropped from aircraft.

Civil authorities have ordered me to evacuate my home. Does my policy pay for food and lodging during this time? Your homeowners policy pays for additional living expenses for up to two weeks if you are denied access to your home by the civil authorities. This includes reasonable motel and food expenses. Keep copies of the receipts for your adjuster.

Can I get an emergency advance payment? Yes. If you have a covered loss and need emergency funds, we can provide you an advance payment. This advance payment will be applied to your final claim settlement.

Does my policy have coverage for boarding pets? Yes, your homeowners policy covers the cost of temporarily boarding domestic pets, other than livestock, if civil authorities prohibit access to your home. Keep copies of the receipts for your adjuster.

Do I have coverage to replace trees that were damaged by the fire? Homeowners insurance generally provides limited coverage for trees, shrubs and other plants directly damaged by fire. Normally, the limit is 5 percent of the coverage amount on your home, but no more than $500 for any one tree, shrub or plant.

Is there anything I can do to help with the claim process? Begin to compile a list of personal property and belongings you believe were damaged or destroyed by the fire. Briefly describe each item, including its age, current value, make, model and serial number.

Who do I call to make repairs to my home? You are free to select any contractor you wish. It is usually best to select one who has operated in the area for several years, is insured and bonded, and will give you a written guarantee for the work performed.

Based in Madison, Wis., American Family Insurance offers auto insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance, health insurance, business and farm/ranch insurance in 19 states. American Family insurance is the nation's third-largest mutual property/casualty insurance company and ranks 344th on the Fortune 500 list. Web:; Facebook:; Twitter: