What is an agent?
An agent is an independent contractor who manages his or her own business and exclusively sells American Family Insurance products.
What is an agent's earning potential?
An agent's earning potential is unlimited. As an agent, you are paid for both new policies and renewals of existing policies. You can increase your sales and income by offering your customers additional insurance products—an advantage of American Family's multi-line offerings. Additionally, the great service you provide can translate into referrals from your policyholders.
Does becoming an agent require buying a book of business or having startup capital?
Agents are not required to purchase a book of existing policies or to have thousands of dollars in collateral.
What career opportunities will I have after being a successful agent?
After proving successful as an agent, you may choose to move into a corporate position focused on sales, marketing or claims, or a position focused on the field. A potential career path might be Agent ⇒ Agency Sales Associate ⇒ Agency Sales Manager ⇒ Sales Director.
How long does the interview process typically take?
The comprehensive interview process can take 2-6 months and includes the following steps:
- Complete an online application.
- Speak with a recruiter to learn more about agent careers with American Family.
- Complete the screening process, which includes credit, background and motor vehicle report checks, as well as an assessment of your skills.
- Interview with an agency sales manager to help determine if this opportunity is the right fit for both you and American Family.
- Learn about American Family products through training materials. You may also have an opportunity to practice generating sales leads.
- Take exams for property, casualty, life and health licensing. Preparing for these exams requires a commitment of time as well as some exam fees.
- After successfully completing the first six steps, you are appointed as an American Family Insurance agent and ready to launch your agency.
What is the New Agent Training Program (NATP)?
NATP is a paid 6-7 week mandatory training program that provides up-to-date product knowledge along with training on the skills you’ll use every day to build your agency business. These skills include prospecting and sales, customer service and business management.
What expenses are covered during NATP?
American Family Insurance covers travel, lodging, transportation and meals.
Will I be reimbursed for any licensing expenses?
Pre-licensing costs (books, materials and coursework) are not covered, but you will be reimbursed for the license fee once appointed with American Family Insurance.
In which states does American Family operate?
Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin.